Sunday, February 14, 2010

Meatless Mondays

Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages people to cut out meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet.



Reducing meat consumption by 15% (one day a week) lessons the risk of many preventable diseases such as heart disease and many cancers.



According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation the meat industry generates nearly one fifth of the man-made greenhouse gas emmissions that lead to climate change.



So this month my one small change is going to be the creation of Meatless Mondays.



Monday is a great day for us as we have after school activities and don't walk into the house till 5.30pm and I find vegetarian meals a lot easier to prepare ( especially when they are baked beans on toast)



Yes, I realise I will have to get more creative with my Meatless Mondays but this is all I could think of to cook at 4pm on Monday afternoon.



3 comments:

libby said...

I think if I wasn't already vegetarian I'd definitely join in something like this. And while beans on toast is pretty yum there are loads of meatless meals that are easy and yummy.

Libby

Vanessa said...

Oh Libby I am really going to have to ask your advice about vegetarian meals as its a whole new world to me.

Linda said...

We had a Mexican Macaroni Cheese this week and it was very nice. I recommend recipes from www.taste.com.au it is rare we don't like a recipe from there. That is where I got the recipe, as this week I couldn't afford any meat so made do with what we have in the pantry etc.