Sunday, February 7, 2010

Yesterday because we were travelling we found we had to stop for lunch at McDonalds. I try to avoid this place for too many reasons to list in this little blog. But we were desperate and so pulled in on the proviso that we try to eat as healthily as possible.

I just had a coffee and picked up some of the propoganda, oops, I mean literature from beside the counter. I was surprised to read that McDonalds uses Rainforest Alliance Certified farms to source their coffee beans.

This means that the beans are grown on farms that meet quite strict environmental and social standards. The workers on these farms are covered for issues such as a clean, safe working environments, paid the national minimum wage, have access to medical care and free education for the workers children.

As its been so long since I visited a MacDonalds I was surprised and impressed that they have taken this stance and I felt duly righteous as I carried my coffee out to the car - until I realised how much packaging was surrounding the coffee and wraps we had bought.

Oh well, at least I'm trying.

3 comments:

libby said...

Hi Vanessa,

I, too, rarely go to McD's and it's usually only on holidays (if we're stuck). Being vegetarian there isn't much to choose from. I'm a tea drinker but it's good to know they are making some good decisions - wonder is their tea is Fairtrade or equivalent?
I'm with you on all the packaging but sometimes you just get stuck and have no choice. I HATE buying bottled water but when you're thirsty and have already drunk the water you bought from home you don't have much choice. At least we know we're using the minimum that we can.

Oh, and you won the giveaway on my blog. If you e-mail your address I'll get it in the post for you.

Libby

MinorSights said...

@libby:

In many countries, McDonald's sells Lipton tea that is from Rainforest Alliance certified farms, just like it's coffee.

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the giveaway Libby I've tried to send you an email. i hope you have received it. vanessa