Friday, February 25, 2011


Zen Habits

One of the blogs I like to follow is called Zen Family Habits.

One of their best posts is how to simplify your life. They suggest 43 immediate ways to begin.

Let's see how I go:



1. Turn off your cell phone. (I have an emergency only mobile. It's always off and in the bottom of my handbag :: No brain cancers for me haha!!)

2. Process email only twice a day. (Usually only twice unless I'm waiting for something important to come through)

3. Go to bed early. (yup)

4. Get rid of (or at least reduce) commitments that you do out of obligation. (I'm not doing any volunteer work at the school this year - anything else I do, it's because I want to)

5. Create a weekly meal plan. (Yup)

6. Automate your finances. (Bill in charge of this :: allows me to be very financially Zen)

7. Purge as much unneeded clutter as possible. (You KNOW I do this!)

8. Keep your paper shredder on top of your recycling bin. (This is a great tip - must do this)

9. Add items you want to a wish list as you think of them. (Kinda do this)

10. Get a label maker or write labels out by hand. (Have a million labels - thanks Christina)


11. Set your clothes out for the next day the night before. (I know this is a great idea but I never do it)

12. Make your lunch for the next day the night before. (No need for myself but I try to do this for Rhianna - no good at making lunches when I'm half asleep in the morning)

13. Make time to catch up with an old friend. (Always do this)

14. Just say no. (I'm good at saying no on the phone, not much good at saying no face to face)

15. Ask for experiences not things for your birthday and Christmas this year. (Well, I did ask for New York for my birthday this year)

16. Tell the truth. (Try to - unless of course it doesn't suit me - LOL)

17. Keep your list of addresses and phone numbers up to date. (Yup)

18. Consolidate debt. (Not much debt apart from small mortgage)

19. Create an organizing system that works for you. (Could do better)

20. Keep a bag for garbage in your car. (Another good tip I will implement)

21. Cary a notebook and pen with you where ever you go. (Ditto )

22. Unsubscribe from emails, newsletters or RSS feeds that don’t provide value anymore. (Try to do this once a week)

23. Apologize immediately when you realize you’ve done wrong. (Could do better)

24. Enjoy the present moment as much as you can. (Absolutely do this)

25. Take time to really see the little things in life.(Ditto )

26. Reduce the amount of TV you watch. (Not a big TV watcher - love to read)

27. Get outside. (When Autumn starts I'll think about it)

28. Create morning, daytime, and evening routines. (Yup)

29. Ask for help. (Don't do this very much but then I don't have much need to either.)

30. Do things at home as much as possible (eat, date nights, entertain etc.). (Yup but could do better)

31. Don’t get caught up in other people’s drama. (Good at this)

32. Let go of the self-imposed need to be perfect. (Trying hard but its not easy to let go of decades of negative self talk)

33. Focus on a simple, but healthy, eating plan. (umm, next question)

34. Share responsibilities. (With who? )

35. Reduce your wardrobe to a few versatile items. ( I only have a few items but I'm not sure how "versatile" they are)

36. Be positive. (Yup)

37. Start a gratitude journal. (This is a bit naff for me)

38. Finish old tasks before taking on new ones. (Yup this makes sense but it's so boring)

39. For every new item that enters your home set two free. (Yes, I am doing the one in, one out rule)

40. Want what you have not what you don’t. (Yup, I'm pretty good at this)

41. Revisit what you carry with you in your purse or wallet. (Wallet could do with a clean out)

42. Focus on one thing at a time. (Not good at this)

43. Store new garbage bags at the bottom of your garbage can. (Good idea except what happens if one bag springs a leak?)


Overall I thing I'm doing pretty well. A couple of good ideas to implement. I'll let you know if I get around to any.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Love it, Love it, Love it!!! I think I might have to browse that site! :)

Vanessa said...

You won't be sorry. It has some really interesting stuff.