Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Retro Dining

As well as loving all things retro, I am also very much about the making, the making do and the thrifting.

Today, I thought I'd show you our little dining room.

Here she is in all her glory.

Such a mishmash of colour, style and kitsch. Just the way I love it.

I think you've seen the dining room table and chairs circa 1970 before. They were a second hand furniture store find and in perfect condition.

I had quite a little collection of tins that I've been picking up mostly in op shops and when I saw this old pot holder stand in a local antique store I knew it would be the perfect thing to store my tins on. And the tins are useful too. Rhianna and I can cram quite a lot of craft bits and pieces into those tins.

Some tin love.

This plaque was found in an op shop up near my Mum's house. I've never seen or heard of this saying before but it works for me and it has that genius retro orange trim that I do so love.


This is an Etsy buy but it was in plain old wood grain colour when it arrived. I do love to spray paint and yellow just suited this piece so well. I love it, love it, love it.

This pillow was handmade by myself and honestly, I got the idea and design out of a kid's craft book. I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out.


Very vintage crochet cushion purchased for around $10 from Frou Frou in Springwood.


This stool is actually a WIP. It was just a plain wooden stool from our last (boring) house that I spray painted and I have a lovely lady crocheting a nice little cover for the top of it.

Finally, Finn wanted me to tell you all that he is loving this return to winter weather. The fire is on, the comfy pouffe has been dragged right next to it and we are having lots of cosy hugs on the lounge today. Furthermore, he's just been told that some baking will be happening shortly.

He does so love my sultana pound cake.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Your house will be listed on the National Trust next, with all those retro pieces! So much of what you have reminds me of the stuff my nan and my mum had when I was a kid.

Vanessa said...

I'm sure it could be Linda. I have actually just sold two pieces to the Museum of Sydney for an exhibition they are having next year about World War II. Of course I will be going and photographing my pieces for my blog haha...

Cheryl said...

Hi Vanessa, I got your comment on my blog, and tried to e-mail you, but it wouldn't send, can you check you sent me the right e-mail address, or resend it. Thanks from Cheryl

Tania said...

So much lovely colour and handmade goodness! I also spy my canister set in the background :)