Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Simple Pleasures and Somewhere to Sit.

My husband Bill works very long hours. When you run your own business, you can never clock off. Subsequently, we spent very little quality time together through the week.

We do get the odd cup of coffee together in the morning and maybe an hour together in the evening. But with the kids, dinner, showers etc all competing for our time the quality of our interactions leave a lot to be desired.

About a year ago we decided to create an area that was just for us. A place with two chairs, a place to put our coffee and a light to read by. Of course, it all had to feel a bit retro.


We spend most mornings in this spot reading the papers, chatting and having our first coffee of the day. We put in a footstool to put our feet up on. This also doubles as a place for the kids and the dog to come and say hello.


A little table to put coffee cups, papers etc. I used to use the retro phone until it became impractical. Now it's just an ornament. The table also has the triffid style lights that you can manually angle to suit your reading purposes.

I had a little phase of old blighty love during which time I bought this cushion from Etsy.

And this very British poster from Lark.

While I am detesting this Summer weather, I am loving the fresh fruit that is everywhere at the moment. Such a simple pleasure that can really make your day. I got these massive mangoes yesterday for $1 each at the local greengrocer.

With these short life span fruits you really have to eat as much as you can while they are abundant I think.


And last night I received these beautiful roses directly from my father in law's garden.

Bill had been up to the Central Coast for business and popped in to see him and came home with these beauties from his lovely garden.

I don't know which I enjoyed more, the roses or the fact that they were picked especially for me.

No comments: