Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Review

Revolutionary Road


Although this is a classic, I have only just got around to reading it.

I have to admit that I watched the movie first with Kate Winslet and Leonardo Di Caprio. I found the movie just amazing in every way. I went out and bought the novel the same day. And having studied Thoreau at university I was constantly replaying his famous lines through my head as I read the book.
"..most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to their graves with the song left in them".

Of course his quote really applies to the woman in the story - April. Married with two children, she feels trapped in her suburban life with an unambitious husband and the same daily routine slowly eroding her happiness in life.

April and her husband decide to throw it all in and move to Paris. But Frank resists at the last moment and April finds herself again with child - a child neither of them really wants. This is where the "quiet desperation" of April becomes a deafening roar to all those around her.

If you can get a copy of this book, I highly recommend it for a thought provoking read.

No comments: