Monday, November 22, 2010


Simple Childhood Memories

We headed up to my Mum and Dad's on the weekend. They live on the Central coast of NSW.

Rhianna has recently become the proud owner of a new pink fishing rod and we thought we'd trot off up to the coast to try it out.

Going up to Mum's makes me think about a few different things.

Firstly, I always think about when we used to drive to my Nan's place as a kid. The anticipation of seeing her, the morning teas she used to do, completed with homemade cakes, slices and biscuits. Sitting on my Nan's lap sipping tea from her cup and smelling her sweet crinkly neck when I used to hug her.

Sometimes I wonder what memories my kids will have of their Nan and Pop.

But mostly I think about how wonderful it is that I still have both my parents with me and still in good health and that we have the opportunity to spend time with them.

Anyway, we spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning out at Wyee Point doing some fishing. We tried to warn Rhianna that she may not actually catch any fish.

But guess what - she caught one. Actually more than one - she caught lots.


Unfortunately they were too small and had to go back in but she didn't care - it was the catching that was the highlight. Bill was the designated dehooker and thrower back inner.




Back at Mum's we pottered around the garden in the afternoon sunshine and did some gardening. Mum has a lovely garden - sorry forgot to take a picture. Rhianna spent ages picking out these flowers to make a bouquet to bring home with us.


We had a gorgeous dinner of lamb chops and vegetables and then some TV watching. I was amazed whn Rhianna asked my Mum if she could sit on her lap and then promptly fell asleep - I hope that's one memory she does keep. I know I will.

On Sunday we headed home after breakfast and a quick stop at the flea markets. The weather was glorious and we spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool.

Sometimes life really is all about the simple pleasures.

4 comments:

Deb said...

The simple pleasures are always the best

Jan said...

Yes, a perfect weekend. It was a joy to read.
Hugs,
Jan

Vanessa said...

Thanks Jan and Debbie

Libby said...

What a fabulous weekend. Love the photos of Rhianna fishing in her gorgeous skirt - too cute.

Libby