Thursday, January 21, 2010

First Sewing Project.

One of the ways I am trying to save money and acquire new skills is learning to sew.

Luckily, I have a friend who offered to lend me a spare sewing machine to see how I would go and if I would like it. (I do)

My first project was an Amy Butler bag. I like Amy's patterns as there is no assumed knowledge. She spells it all out for you step by step. Sure, there were plenty of stuff ups - like ironing the interfacing to the ironing board cover but overall I was pretty pleased with the end result.

It is quite a big bag and I use it when we are going to be out at somebody's place till after dinner and then I will pack all of Rhianna's toiletries and Pj's etc in it.

Other than that it hangs on the back of this chair to remind me that I'm not to old to learn new stuff.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your bag. :-)

I bought a sewing machine several years ago, but still haven't learned how to sew. Are Amy Butler patterns available in the US or just Australia?

Stephanie

Vanessa said...

No Amy is American so they are available here and in the US. I highly recommend her patterns as they are so easy to follow with lots of diagrams.
Thanks for stopping by.
vanessa

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,

Where do you buy Amy Butler patterns in Sydney?

Non Consumer Girl

Vanessa said...

I bought mine from a haberdashery shop in Springwood which is in the Blue Mountains. I have also seen them in quilt fabric shops. Or maybe try Ebay