Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mini Me

One of the greatest joys in my life is having a daughter. Finally I have someone who is interested in dong the same things as I do. Even if I just start to do some washing up she wants to help.


Rhianna is 6 now and as the years go by I let her undertake more and more tasks as she builds her skill level.

I also firmly believe in making children as independent as possible as early as possible. She is also learning that being in a family means being a team memebers and all members must contribute. Except the dog - he just has to look cute - which he does very well.



This year Rhianna wants to learn to knit and to actually make a simple garment to wear on the sewing machine. I encourage her in these efforts as far as my patience will allow. I have learnt to only give her old pillow cases to iron, plastic bowls to wash up and old scraps of fabric to sew on.



I'm really excited that as she grows older our passion for all things "homey" as she calls it will grow and develop. At least until she hits those teenage years when me and everything I do will be considered "boring". But those days are a little ways off and I intend to enjoy every minute till then.

2 comments:

libby said...

Too cute. It's such a nice age when they want to help out. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of teaching her to be independent. My youngest, who is 8, loves to help her Nan but not me!!!!

Libby

Vanessa said...

Thanks Libby.. I love her at this age.